Malmsheim airfield was built in the 1930s for the Luftwaffe. After 1945 it served as a auxiliary airfield. On the area to the north of the concrete runway, a gliding airfield has been established, which is also used for parachute jumps by the Bundeswehr and the US troops. At the north-west end, a mobilization base was set up, on which a SAR helicopter was temporarily stationed.
In the meantime, the auxiliary airfield has now been closed. In the northern area, the mobilization base was demolished and a research center has been built. The glider field is still used, but is to be closed in the long term.