Neubiberg airfield was opened in 1933 and later expanded into a Luftwaffe air base. After World War II, the field was first used by the US Air Force, which was stationed here until 1957 with various combat and transport aircraft. From 1958 to 1971, Neubiberg was base of the Air Transport Wing 61 (Lufttransportgeschwader 61, LTG 61) of the German Air Force. The Air Force continued the airfield until the early 1990s. After that, it served for general aviation until Neubiberg was finally closed in 1997.
During World War II
Neubiberg Air Base in World War II on a US map from 1944 - (McMaster University Library Digital Archive, License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 CC BY-NC 2.5 CA /MULDA/)
Airfields in the Munich region with Neubiberg airfield on a map of the US Department of Defense from 1972 - (ONC E-2 (1972), Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas at Austin /PCL MC/)
Data for the year 1971:
NDB: 419 "NU", 254°/6.2NM to fld
In the 1980s and early 1990s
Neubiberg Airfield on a map of the US Department of Defense from 1981 - (ONC F-2 (1981), Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas at Austin /PCL MC/)