Berlin: Staaken Airfield

Dallgow, Dalgow

For historical information only, do not use for navigation or aviation purposes!
Coordinates: N523204 E0130657 (WGS84)
Map: Google Maps
Elevation: 149 ft

Location

Berlin and Federal State of Brandenburg.

In the 1920/30s

Overview

Aerial picture from 1928
Staaken airfield on a map in the aeronautical publication from 1931
Aerial picture from the end of the 1920s or beginning of the 1930s - Looking to the southeast

Runways, taxiways, aprons

Good sod on sandy soil. Swamp formation in the southwest corner of the field. Shortest rolling distance 1000 m in all directions.

Installations

6 Aircraft hangars:
2 hangars: 60,8 x 30,4 m
2 hangars: 99,0 x 25,0 m
1 hangar: 60,0 x 22,0 m
1 hangar: 25,0 x 8,0 m
Workshops: Contain all machines and tools necessary to repair metal and wood aircraft. Electric current 220 V AC. Spare parts for all airplanes of the Deutsche Luft Hansa in stock.
Fuel Equipment:
For a total of 90,000 liters of gasoline, 3,000 liters of oxyde and 3000 liters of benzene. Hydrogen gas for airship purposes.

Images

Sablatnig biplane in front of the hangar in Staaken:
(Source: ETH-Bibliothek Zürich, Bildarchiv / Fotograf: Unbekannt / Ans_05338-01-072-AL-FL / Public Domain Mark)
Crash landing of AEG JII K, D 26 of Deutsche Aero Lloyd at Staaken (April 14th, 1923):
(Source: ETH-Bibliothek Zürich, Bildarchiv / Fotograf: Unbekannt / Ans_05338-01-034-AL-FL / Public Domain Mark)

During World War II

Usage

Airfield.

Situation

Berlin Staaken Airfield in World War II on a US map from 1943 - (McMaster University Library Digital Archive, License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 2.5 CC BY-NC 2.5 CA /MULDA/)

During the Cold War

In the 1940/50s

General

After World War II, Staaken airfield was used by Soviet flying units, presumably until the 1950s. Previously, an exchange of territories was made: The eastern part of the airfield was located in the British sector of Berlin. At the same time, the western part of the British Berlin Gatow Airfield was located in the Soviet zone. In order to allow reasonable operations at both fields, Soviets and British exchanged the territories. With this, West Staaken became part of East Berlin, later of East Germany. It was not until the political change that West Staaken returned to Berlin again in 1990.
The following map from 1952 shows the location of the Staaken airfield in relation to the other post-war airfields in and around Berlin: Gatow, Johannisthal, Schönefeld, Schönwalde, Tegel und Tempelhof.
(Source: USAF)

Overview

Aerial picture from 1953
The airfield on a map from 1967 - The former and now again valid city border running across the airfield is clearly visible. The border which was valid between 1945 (?) and 1990 after the exchange of territories runs along the right side of the map (Courtesy Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University /BYU/)

Radio beacons

  • NDB: 459 "T"

Radio communication

The soviet radio station was working on 4150 kc, with the call sign BRONZA.

Images

Magnifications from the aerial picture from 1953
Parked aircraft in the southeastern part:
Hangar with marking on the roof:
Aircraft revetments in the north:
Barracks:

Today

Use today

Closed.

Links

Airfields in the vicinity

Follow mil-airfields on Facebook